Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hazel Smut Crunch

Hazel Smut Crunch of New Hampshire Roller Derby hooked me up with this square just recently. Rather than try to paraphrase her explanation of the deep symbolism, I'll be a bad blogger and shamelessly lift from her blog, Hazel Gets Crunched:

I used an old shoelace to do the main part of my name. I wanted it to look like old-school Palmer-method cursive writing. I like the piece of scrimmage jersey over a black and gray background that reminds me of the website I helped build for the league. I used pink buttons to spell out NHRD, since pink is our league's main color. I wrote my number and the rest of my name in silver fabric paint, which is how I made my first set of scrimmage jerseys. The red sparkly beads in the corner are there because I'm a sucker for anything red and sparkly. They also symbolize red tape--part of my role on the league is paperwork and untangling beaurocratic mumbo-jumbo like IRS filings and applications for permits from the city clerk's office. Overall, I'm pleased with how it came out and can't wait to send it to Dread.

Thanks Hazel, for your excellent square, and for giving me permission to quote your even more excellent "artist's statement" about the piece.

No comments: